The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a global program that recognizes and certifies the next generation of outstanding computing research talent.
Microsoft acknowledges the value of diversity in computing and seeks to improve the pipeline of talent receiving developed degrees in computing-related fields to build a stronger and inclusive computing-related research community.
Currently, we offer PhD fellowships in Asia-Pacific, Canada, the United States, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), Latin America, Australia, and New Zealand.
About the Organization
Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company with headquarters in Redmond, Washington. It originates, manufactures, licenses supports, and sells computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and related services.
The organization’s best-known software products are the Microsoft Windows line of operating systems, the Microsoft Office suite, and the Internet Explorer and Edge web browsers.
Microsoft Corporation’s flagship hardware products are the Xbox video game consoles and the Microsoft Surface lineup of touchscreen personal computers.
- USD 15,000 is provided through Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship to help complete research as part of their doctoral thesis work for the academic year 2022–23.
- Qualified recipients will be offered a 12-week paid internship with the Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI).
- Chances will be provided to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
Requirements for Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
- Microsoft’s mission is to assign every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Scholars should support this mission and welcome opportunities to promote diverse and inclusive cultures within their communities.
- Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship scholars must be registered at a university in Africa
- Proposed research must be closely related to one of the themes at Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI)
- AI/ML/NLP/data science: In many useful applications, data is frequently scarce and biased. Understanding how we work under these settings and deliver useful results has a great impact on many practical problems and gives us a deep understanding of what it means to learn with data. From practical applications such as NLP to comprehending the fairness and generalization of results and heightening our understanding of what is possible with the available data for a certain problem. We’re interested in how we work better with the limitations of data.
- Health: Advancements in machine learning and AI offer us an opportunity to address the differences in the access to, and delivery of quality healthcare for all people. We are interested in understanding and exploring spaces where technology can assist to fill the gap, from assisting healthcare practitioners to achieve their roles more effectively, to bridging the last mile to patients, through scaling the delivery and reach of quality healthcare using technology.
- Sustainability: Microsoft’s dedication to sustainability will be achieved by leveraging cloud and artificial intelligence (AI) tools to transform the way we monitor, model, and ultimately help in solving environmental challenges facing the world. Within MARI, we are applying AI and analytics to understand and develop solutions that will address challenges related to sustainability. If you are a student enrolled in an African University undertaking a PhD program in artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics, or a related field with a focus on solving problems related to sustainability, we would be delighted to receive your application.??
- Human-computer interaction: We seek fellows in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) who will explore Usability and Design questions in the areas of Work, Health Sustainability & Society. Typically, HCI interns lead and conduct research studies (online or on the ground), usability studies, literature reviews, and design interventions.
- Students must be entering their second year or beyond of their PhD program sometime between August 2022 to July 2023 having taken into account transfers, authorized leaves of absence, etc.
- PhD students must continue to be registered at the university at the beginning of the academic year 2023 or forfeit the award. Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is not available for extension. If you need time away for family or medical leave, this will be accommodated. If you are uncertain if a certain need for time away will affect the award, you can contact Microsoft Research Fellowships at email@example.com.
- Payment of the award, as described above, will be made straight to the university and distributed according to the university’s policies. Microsoft will have control as to how any remaining funds will be used if the student is no longer qualified to receive funding (e.g., if the student unenrolls from the program, graduates, or transfers to a different university).
- Funding is for use only during the recipient’s time in the PhD program; it cannot be used for support in a role past graduation, such as a postdoc or faculty position. Those interested in receiving this fellowship will need to ensure their PhD program starting month and year, as well as their expected graduation month and year.
- A recipient of the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship subject to disciplinary proceedings for improper behavior, including but not limited to prejudice, harassment (including sexual harassment), or plagiarism will forfeit their funding.
- PhD scholars submitting a proposal should be able to communicate their research (both in writing and verbally) in English.